Hindustan Times Online
The Hindustan Times website is operated by the Firefly e-Ventures Limited which is a subsidiary of HT Media Limited. The Hindustantimes.com website carries stories published in the Hindustan Times newspaper. The website is updated hourly with breaking news stories. The website was also ranked among the top 10 international news sites by Forbes in 2007. The website claims to have 10 million unique visitors and over 100 million pageviews per month.
Media Companies / Groups
Hindustantimes.com is a product of Firefly e-Ventures Limited. Firefly e-Ventures Limited is owned entirely by HT Digital Media Holdings Limited which in turn is owned by HT Media Limited where it holds 99.9% shares.
The Hindustan Times Limited owns the 69.50% of shares at HT Media Limited. The remaining 30.5% shares are owned by the public: individuals and institutions.
The Hindustan Times Limited has two major shareholders: Earthstone Holding (Two) Private Limited holds 64.64% and Earthstone Investment and Finance Limited holds 10.2% share. The remaining 25.16% shares of the company are spread among various institutions, companies and individuals with smaller stakes.
Earthstone Holding (Two) Private Limited has three major shareholders: SB Trusteeship Services Private Limited (93.47%), Shobhana Bhartia (2.5%) and The Hindustan Times Limited (3.4%).
Earthstone Investment & Finance Limited is owned almost entirely by BCM Holding Limited (99.9%). 99.9% shares of BCM Holding Limited is owned by SB Trusteeship Services Limited. Shobhana Bharti holds 99.9% share of SB Trusteeship Services Limited.
Shobhana Bhartia owns 74.4% share of The Hindustan Times Limited – 64,64% through Easthsone Holding (Two) Private Limited and 10,02% through Earthstone Investment & Finance Limited
Hence, Shobhana Bhartia through SB Trusteeship Services Private Limited via other companies mentioned above owns 51.43% share of HT Media Limited. 18.07% share of Hindustan Media Limited is with other individuals, companies and 30.5% shares are owned by the public: individuals and institutions.
Group / Individual Owner
30.5% of the shares are open to public in the stock market.
Other Individuals and companies
Hindustan Times Limited which is the majority shareholder of HT Media Limited has some 25.16% of shares spread among different individuals, companies and institutions. Companies associated with Birla Group such as BK Birla Foundation, Birla Educational Institution and Pic Realcon Ltd have at least 5.12% share. Among the shareholders were two companies associated with the Times Group (Bennett Coleman & Company Limited) Bharat Nidhi Ltd and Times Guaranty Financials Ltd which hold at least 0,12% of share. ASK Group and their directors hold some 1,78% of shares. The Ministry of Corporate Affairs (through Investor Education and protection Fund Authority) is also listed as a shareholder with 0,97% stake.
Affiliated Interests Founder
is the 100% subsidiary of HT Media and was founded in 2007 by Mr. Amit Garg to operate the digital services of HT Media group and includes websites such as hindustantimes.com, shine.com, livemint.com and desimartini.com. Mr. Sumit Jain serves as the company’s Chief Technology Officer.
Affiliated Interests Ceo
is the Managing Director and CEO of HT Media Limited, that publishes the English daily newspaper, Hindustan Times. A Chartered Accountant and Cost Accountant by profession, he joined HT Media on 1 August, 2018. He had earlier worked with F&B major, PepsiCo in various capacities. In his current role at the HT Media, he is entrusted with transforming the company into a new age media company. Someshwar is also the Managing Director and Director of HT Media Ventures Limited, and the Director of The Press Trust of India Limited, the Indian Newspaper Society and the Media Research Users Council.
Affiliated Interests Editor-In-Chief
is a Chemical Engineering Graduate with a Masters in Mathematics and Business Administration. Sukumar Ranganathan, joined The Hindustan Times in the role of the Editor-in-Chief in 2006. He was a founding team member of Mint, the business newspaper published by HT Media. Earlier, he has been the Managing Editor for India Today group for Business Today. He worked as a marketing editor for The Hindu Business Line.
Revenue (in Mill. $)
Operating Profit (in Mill. $)
Advertising (in % of total funding)
Most of the information is obtained from the company website and its annual report for 2017-2018. The outlet specific financial information is not available. Company’s financial information was retrieved from the Ministry of Corporate Affairs. An email and courier were sent to the company on the 1st February 2019 requesting for the information. The company has not responded to date.